ABOUT: The Tidewater Striders Walkers –
An article by Steve Durrant, Developing Organized Walking within a Running Club
WALKER Interest List…
Are you interested in RACE Walking, POWER Walking and just in it for the Exercise?
Do you need a partner or group to workout with? Check out this LIST of various types of WALKERS who are interested too. You may know one or two of them. Reach out and form groups and start hitting the pavement together.
Want to be added to (or deleted from) this list, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Walking Grand Prix Results…
If you are interested in organizing a Training Event/Clinic, Please contact us via email: email@example.com
- About: Walking -Walking Strategies for Overall Health
- Dave’s World Class Racewalking
- USATF: Race Walking
Senior Games Links
- NSGA (National Senior Games Association): RACEWALK
- NSGA (National Senior Games Association): POWERWALK
- VSG (Virginia Senior Games) —(Track & Field)
- Record of Virginia Senior Games Race Walks, 1999-2016 by Jordan Levitin.
Race walking – the sport
In national competition, USATF established an official definition of race walking to formally differentiate it from running. This definition evolved across several decades as officials attempted to better define the sport. Although many rules regulate competitive walking, only this definition (in two parts) serves to characterize legal race walking.
1) Race walking is a progression of steps so taken that the walker makes contact with the ground so that no visible (to the human eye) loss of contact occurs.
2) The advancing leg must be straightened (i.e., not bent at the knee) from the moment of first contact with the ground until in the vertical upright position.
If during judged competition, 3 different judges say they saw a walker violate either of these rules, they are disqualified. The course lengths are usually the same as runners, but 1500 meter, 3K and 8K distances are very popular also. The average time for regular race walkers is in the 11 to 13 minute range, regional and national walkers can be clocked in at 6 to 8 min. miles.
Walk Committee Chair: Bunny May
For more information about the Tidewater Striders walkers send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org