10K training

All about training.

Moderator: Tommy Neeson

10K training

Postby peninsularunner » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:06 pm

I would like to jog a 10K in early March. Is that too ambitious? I like a challenge! Not in good shape, but have run distance when I was younger.
peninsularunner

Postby Jennifer Jeffers » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:12 pm

Totally doable. I don't know what kind of condition you are in now, or whether or not you have medical clearance. But, assuming you have medical clearance, there shouldn't be any reason you can't jog a 10K in two months. Have you been walking? If not, it would probably be best to start there, and then pick it up after a couple of weeks. Unless you have been training to RUN for awhile, you probably won't break the sound barrier, but if that is not your goal, you should be successful. Good Luck!
Jennifer Jeffers

Postby peninsularunner » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:09 am

I'm 34, and not in good shape really. I'm probably 50 lbs overweight, so not looking to break the sound barrier or anything. Just looking for a challenge to get me motivated. I know I could easily do a 5k in 2 months, but a 10k will be much harder. As far as physical activity I have been walking, and have been to some spinning classes in the past year.
peninsularunner

Postby Jennifer Jeffers » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:18 am

Would you feel like a failure if you started out jogging, and had to walk for a short part of the race? While some others on this forum might see that as a disappointment, I'd see finishing the distance as a victory. Start training now, and see where you are in March. What's that saying? You miss every shot you don't take. :D Something like that. Of course, this is with a doctor's go ahead.
Jennifer Jeffers

Postby peninsularunner » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:01 am

Jennifer Jeffers wrote:Would you feel like a failure if you started out jogging, and had to walk for a short part of the race? While some others on this forum might see that as a disappointment, I'd see finishing the distance as a victory.

I would be thrilled to jog/walk/crawl a 10k! Whatever it takes! My goal is to finish, then I can work on times later. All of this is part of my motivation to lose weight, so it's all good.
peninsularunner

Postby rlevinsky » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:53 pm

You could do the Shamrock 8k in March and aim for a 10k in May or June. There are at least three 10ks that time of year to choose from.

Best of luck!

Rob
rlevinsky

Postby AllySpeirs » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:27 pm

Good advice Rob...............8K is doable, and best of luck to you..take it easy (something I am good at LOL), and of course go see your doc before starting this.

Ally
AllySpeirs

Postby peninsularunner » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:45 pm

AllySpeirs wrote:Good advice Rob...............8K is doable, and best of luck to you..take it easy (something I am good at LOL), and of course go see your doc before starting this.

Ally

Does a chiropractor count? :D
peninsularunner

Postby AllySpeirs » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:38 am

not really, you should get a complete physical check up by your doc before undertaking this.............its a good idea to visit a chiropractor if you want after the check up, no harm there, but you at the very least need an EKG, blood pressure check etc etc., espcially if you have any medical issues at all.........asthma, diabetes etc.
AllySpeirs

Return to Training